Monday, March 17, 2008

Magazine Capacity Counts In A Gunfight


One of the most debatable subjects in the concealed gun community is whether to carry a smaller caliber weapon with more magazine capacity or a larger caliber weapon with less magazine capacity.

If you look at the three most prevalent calibers, you see that there is very little difference between them. A 9mm and .38 are only one little millimeter smaller than the 10mm, which is similar to a .40 S&W, and that is only one little millimeter less than the 11mm, which is similar to the .45 ACP. Those familiar with handguns know that you can get a 9mm easy for concealing, (i.e.) Ruger SR-9 pistol with a 17 round capacity magazine while a standard 1911 .45 ACP type pistol usually holds a 7 round capacity magazine. So from the get go, when the gunfight breaks out, it's either 18 rounds vs. 8 rounds in the first volley of rounds.

There are those who disdain the 9mm as unsuitable for anything larger than snakes. How fast do we forget, prior to the Brady Campaign-Assault Weapons Ban, most of us packed 9mm as the weapon of choice because of the ease of handling and the extra magazine capacity. When the maximum 10 round magazine law went into effect under the Clinton administration, only then did everyone want to go to .45 ACP since they could get a 8, 9 or 10 round .45 ACP magazines. So the feeling was that one would rather have 10 rounds of .45 ACP instead of 10 rounds of 9mm. Now the 9mm is making its way back as the weapon of choice for the concealed handgun license holder.

I know some of you are curious what I carry. It varies, the other night at Wal-Mart, it was the 1911 when the thugs approached me. But most of the time, it's a 9mm, I rarely carry the 1911 on my body but leave it as my 'in vehicle' weapon of choice stuffed in between the seat and console of my truck. Some may disagree with me on this one but I'll still be firing while you're reloading.

Bob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ruger SR9 is an awesome gun. One of the gun magazines tested the SR9 and fired 25000 rounds without a failure. The price is right on it too for CCW permitees budget.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget CZs and the Bersa (yeah, that's right Bersa) Thunder 9. Cheap and fine weapons.

I fired both at the GTGC rifle range Thursday at 25yds. With no brace, I kept every round in the balck with the Bersa and a CZ P-01. Just leaning against the roof support beam, I made a 2 inch group with the Bersa.

bob said...

Kevin,
My son carries a Bersa UC9, my wife carries at Bersa T-380, and my daughter-in-law carries a Bersa T-380 too. Though I'm a Sig fan, there is nothing wrong with Bersa, great gun at a reasonable price. My best friend's daughter bought a Bersa T-380 last week after shooting my better half's T-380. My next door neighbor owns a CZ75B, one of the most accurate pistols I ever shot. Lots of folks think more dollars means more bang for the bucks but it isn't true. When people question Bersa and Argentina, I remind them that after WWII, the Germans fled to South America and took their gun mills & technology with them.

Anonymous said...

The answer is the Para Carry 12, 12+1 rounds in .45. Capacity + Knockdown ready for the occassion.

Anonymous said...

It's logical to assume that with a larger magazine capacity comes a larger framed weapon, but the foremost issue must remain is what will fit between the pants' waistband and layers and layers and layers of flab! Thinner framed individuals are able to use some type of coat to conceal their weapon or even a one-step-up size pant to allow for a waist-band concealed weapon. Others, especially obese individuals, must wear considerable larger pant sizes to conceal larger framed weapons with greater magazine capacities, and even some of those individuals are unable to, appropriately, tuck their shirttail in. All this must be considered.