Thursday, May 22, 2008

Non-Citizens Purchasing Firearms


This past weekend, I witnessed something that is troubling to me. As I was filling out the paperwork to purchase my Kel-Tec PLR-16, in the next chair is an Asian looking guy purchasing a Beretta Tomcat pistol. The young lady assisting in his purchase told him that he needed to put his county of residence on Form 4473. He didn't know what county he lived. He said that he lived in Bellaire and someone told the young lady that it was Harris County. When he finished the top information, he didn't answer any of the questions. The young lady told him he had to answer the question but he stated that he couldn't read them. She said that she couldn't read them to him and he was going to get his friend to read them. She then told him that his friend couldn't read them to him. By now, the owner walks by and the young lady told the owner that this guy couldn't read the questions, so he said that they couldn't sell him the gun. I got back to finishing my purchase and before leaving, I noticed he wrote "NO" in all the blanks. The first question is 12a. which states, "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring
the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to
you. (See Important Notice 1 for actual buyer definition and examples.)


As I'm walking off, the young lady is helping this guy correct his answers. Friends, this isn't right! If you can't read English, then you don't need to buy a firearm in the United States of America. Some states restrict the purchase of firearms by non-citizens, it appears that Texas has none.

That's my rant and it still bothers me.

Bob

No comments: