Monday, June 30, 2008

Bersa Ultra Compact 9 mm Pistol


As everyone knows, I'm a Sig Sauer fan, probably the best guns on the market
in my own opinion, but sometimes you have to change in your old age. This weekend, I went to visit an old friend in Houston and we ventured out to the Hot Wells Shooting Range off of Hwy. 290. I brought along my Sig 226 to fire at the range but Dale brought his Glock 17, Glock 26 and Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm.
I had the opportunity to shoot all of Dale's guns and it was more than enjoyable. But the one that really caught my attention was the Bersa UC-9. Excellent function and I loved the feel of the gun. For a compact it shoots very easily, helped obviously by being 9mm. When carrying concealed, I usually pack the Colt Commander or Sig 229. Both are excellent guns but tend to be on the heavy side especially during summer months and the need not to print. Later I put on Dale's Galco IWB holster with the Bersa UC-9 and couldn't tell it was on my body. This pistol is made in Argentina and has a reputation as being a dependable personal defense weapon. The magazine holds 13 rounds, so that is a good start in any gun battle considering you are carrying a spare magazine. I especially like that it is DA/SA, has ambidextrous decocker and magazine release can be changed for the south paw shooter. Nice white outline rear sights with a large white dot front sight for easy and fast
alignment. At 23 ozs., the Bersa is only 3 ozs. heavier than the baby Glock, which isn't a problem for me. Plus the Bersa is about $150 cheaper than the baby Glock, money well saved to spend on a good holster and ammunition.

Now here is the problem, after deciding that I would purchase one, I stopped at three Academy stores in Houston on Saturday
and none are to be found. Today I checked with the Port Arthur and Beaumont Academy stores and again the same,
none available and don't know when they will get them. After checking some of the gun forums, it appears that this is a hot selling pistol and dealers can't keep them in stock. I will wait until the next gun show in Houston or locally and see if I can find one then.

Bob

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can't go wrong with the bersa. i own the bersa thunder 45 and she never failed me.

Anonymous said...

I bought a Glock 26 9mm (aka 'baby glock') for personal defense. The problem is that the recoil is pretty heavy for a 9mm
(Remington 115 FMJ), or so it seems to me. Anyone else experience this problem?

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the ambidextrous slide release on the UC9. This is beneficial to any left hand shooter.

Unknown said...

The Bersa is indeed a fine pistol, fits well into an inside-waist band holster, of course, quick retrieval would be hampered were an individual to have excess layers of cellulite on the hip area.

bob said...

The person with the Glock 26, there are lots of upgrades on the market for your Glock. Your recoil issue is mostly likely from the plastic guide rod in the factory stock Glock. One can upgrade to stainless steel or tungsten guide rods and even add a recoil buffer. The recoil buffer eliminates the metal slide from hitting with great impact on the polymer frame. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Anonymous said...

I've got the big Bersa Thunder 9mm and I love it. I sort of had to since my wife took the CZ P-01.

Let me see if my dad has any Bersa Ultra Compacts. I'm sure he has a compact.

Anonymous said...

1911 THE ONLY WAY TO GO

bob said...

Kevin, thanks for putting me in touch with your father. He didn't have any UC-9s in stock but today I found one. Had to make a hot shot run down to Edna and stopped off at the Sugarland Academy store. They had 2 in stock, one 10 rd. magazine and one 13 rd. magazine. Of course I bought the 13 rd. one.
Here is a plug for Kevin's father. Pat's Guns in Texas City, 409-938-3891, he
doesn't stock Glocks, Sigs or HK, only stocks guns that most people can afford.
Thanks for your help.
Bob

Anonymous said...

Does it make you feel like a whole man when you strap your big gun on your hip? It has to be a macho Eastwood rush knowing you can shoot someone at any moment while carrying your big bad gun. It has to be something similar to playing cowboy and indians as a child.

bob said...

To the above comment: Yes, I do like Clint Eastwood. FYI, he always came out alive too.

Bob

Anonymous said...

simply dropping by to say hi

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and also the rest of the website is extremely good.



Here is my page; engagement gift ideas