Saturday, January 26, 2008

Addressing Your Comments


I don’t receive many comments on my blog but I do appreciate those who take the time to comment on an article. I wanted to answer a couple of comments left here.

First one- “you must be a gun nut.”

I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a “gun nut” but like to think of myself more of a “gun enthusiast.”

Second one- Bob,
Philip Klein wrote, "Dude a CZPO1? Nada buddy. Glock and a PT111 for a back up. Seriously buddy. Look into it."

I trust your opinion. Which is the better gun?


If you trust my opinion, then here it is. All of them will kill you death.
I take it that whoever left that comment wanted me to comment on Mr. Klein’s knowledge of firearms. His opinion is just as debatable as mine. To each his own, which looks better? The blonde, brunette or redhead? Everyone has their own opinion and they truly vary when it comes to pistols and revolvers. I only caught Mr. Klein’s radio program maybe 4 or 5 times while he was on KOLE but he made me laugh one day when he talked about going deer hunting and using his sniper rifle. It must have been his first time to go deer hunting.

Here are some of the particulars on the pistols you asked about-

CZ P01 is the successor to the CZ75. CZ75 is the gun carried by the Czech National Police. The CZ75 Magazine holds 14 rounds and trigger mechanism is SA/DA. Weight empty is 27 ounces.

Glock 17 got its name after being the 17th patent for Glock. Glock started out being carried by the Austrian military and Swedish armed forces. The Glock magazine holds 17 rounds. Weight empty is 22.04 ounces.

Taurus PT111 is a subcompact knockoff of the Taurus 24/7 Pro. Taurus holds 12 9mm rounds in the magazine. I own a 24/7 in .40 caliber, it is a good gun but doesn’t hold a candle to my SIG 226 in .40 caliber. I never like the feel of the P111 in my large hands. I think Taurus makes a descent pistol but I hate the rattle in the magazines.

Now if I had to choose one of the above, it would be the CZ P01. My reason is that I have fired a CZ75B in the past and it is one of the most accurate pistols on the market.

If you are wondering where you can purchase the handgun in the pic, it is still in the development stages but you can call the ambulance or coroner for your attacker after the confrontation.

I hope this answers your question and thanks for reading.

Bob

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm the one who started that whole mess on my blog. I'm a huge fan of the CZs. Before I bought the P-01, I did a large amount of research and that was the carry gun I picked out. I haven't regretted it for a second.

You are so right, even for a shorter barrel the P-01 is seriously accurate. I also prefer having the decocker to a regular safety.

Thanks for you thoughts on the comparison.

Anonymous said...

The CZ 75, along with the Browning Hi-Power, SIG-P226 and Glock 17, is rightfully regarded as one of the world's great 9mm pistols. And although Ceska Zbrojovka's product line has expanded beyond the service auto that made it famous in the United States, the CZ 75 is what most American shooters reflexively associate with the company.



Naturally, over the years CZ has tweaked the original platform in an effort to offer model variants to the 75. But the new P-01 (despite the nomenclature) is the first such 75 offshoot to be offered in the new millennium. It's also the result of three years of development and exhaustive testing and will be the new sidearm of the Czech national police.



It features an aluminum alloy frame, a decocker, a firing-pin block and an M3 rail for tactical lights and/or laser sights. It's shorter overall (7.2 inches vs. 8.1 inches) and lighter (27 ounces vs. 34.3 ounces) than the standard 75B. It's also easier for the short-fingered to access the P-01's reconfigured trigger in the DA mode (which was just about the only complaint I've ever heard in regard to the 75, besides the fact that there's not quite enough slide to grab and rack back comfortably).

The frame of the P-01 is slightly wider at the top than that of a 75 for added rigidity, necessitated perhaps by the light rail. And the slide release has been reconfigured and is now a bit quicker to access.



Since more than 60 countries now use the CZ 75 in one official capacity or another, anything purporting to be an improvement had better be pretty good. I recently put close to 500 rounds through the new gun and was extremely impressed. I fired Winchester USA 115-grain FMJs, Black Hills 115-grain JHP Plus-Ps, Winchester Supreme SST 147-grain JHPs, Remington/UMC 124-grain FMJs and Speer Lawman 115-grain JHPs through it without a single hitch (and not even a cursory attempt at cleaning the pistol).



At 25 yards, five-shot groups ranged from acceptable (three to four inches) to superb (two inches or less). And all loads printed close enough to point of aim so that you'd feel confident using any of them. The best performers? Black Hills' 115-grain JHP Plus-P and Winchester's 147-grain SXT. My best effort with the Black Hills stuff would've been an honest 11⁄2 inches were it not for a single flyer. The Winchester stuff averaged slightly under two inches.


SPECIFICATIONS

Importer: CZ-USA
Action: Double-action auto
Caliber: 9mm Parabellum
Capacity: 10
Barrel length: 3.8 inches
Overall length: 7.2 inches
Weight: 27 ounces
Sights: Fixed three-dot
Grips: Checkered rubber
Finish: Black Polycoat
Price: $569





The double-action trigger pull was a smooth and hitch-less 12 pounds. In single-action mode, it broke at five pounds after considerable take-up.



I liked this pistol a lot, which is understandable because I'm a big fan of the CZ 75. The 75, however, is a full-size pistol, and I can certainly understand the appeal of a shorter, lighter variant. Since I'm a semi-casual sport shooter, the hammer drop, light rail and lanyard ring aren't much use to me. But make no mistake about it, CZ's P-01 appears to be an outstanding duty pistol. It's dead reliable, more accurate than it probably needs to be and a bit friendlier to the small-handed than the time-honored 75. Whether its appeal extends beyond its East European service niche remains to be seen. But it's definitely on the short list for "Most Desirable 9mm." --Payton Miller, Guns & Ammo

bob said...

I prefer the ergonomics of the CZ over alot of pistols on the market.
A couple of months ago, my neighbor purchased a CZ75B with nite sights at Gander Mountain for $449, which is a heck of a deal. Usually Gander Mountain is higher on their pistols compared to Academy but may have been reducing stock in anticipation of the CZ P01 coming on the market.
I did hold a CZ 2075 at JJ Pawn Shop last week but didn't like the shortness of the grips, I want my whole hand on the pistol and the shorter grips allowed my pinky finger to dangle. But it will make an excellent conceal carry weapon.

Anonymous said...

Those glocks are cheap guns. Your just paying for a name. A ruger is a hell of a lot better gun and you can buy two for what a glock cost. And a ruger will nevver blow up in your hand or misfire either.